Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Wow, this woman is truly a surviver. I mean for someone to be abducted, tortured, raped, and abused is a lot to endure especially at a young age. Ms. Stan went through this torture for 7 years. I believe that the media did portray her in a bad way, saying that she had plenty of chances to leave and get help. Although many people will say "Oh I would have done this and I would have fought back," none of us really know what we would do in a situation like that. A biggest part of why Ms. Stan did not leave when she was given the chance was FEAR. This man told her that he would kill her family if she even tried to escape. What would you do in a given situation, if you love your famliy and would do anything to protect them; do you think that you would escape to have your freedom and then have your family killed? My family means a lot to me and I would do anything to protect them. As, we have studied in previous chapters, after being a victim for so long you begin to form a relationship with your kidnapper whether it be good or bad. In the situation Ms. Stan was in she eventually began to form a relationship with Hooker, although it was not a good one,there was still one there. Hooker told her that she belonged to him through the company and if she did not obey him, he would send her off to a meaner master.  I know that she takes some of the blame for what she did, but it was not her fault I mean she was just going to see a friend on her birthday. It states that she had eery feelings about a couple of people who offered her a ride and she tunred them down. Maybe she thought that since this seemed like a happy loving family that it would be ok, but it just goes to show that you cannot trust anyone, no matter how nice them seem or how well you know them.
I think that Ms. Stan should recieve compensation for what she endured. I think that she should receive money to go through therapy. She was held captive for 7 years of her life and no one knows what she went through during that time period. I do not think that restorative justice would do any good because what is there to "restore?",  Ms. Stan lost 7 years of her life due to this sick creep and she will never be able to reagin any of those years back. I believe that Ms. Stan suffers from PTSs because who wouldn't? She was hed captive for 7 years and was told what she could and couldnt do by a man she barley knew.
I think that Hooker's wife should have said something before 7 years, but then again what is not say that he did not threaten her if she said something about it. I could not even begin to imagine what was going through this famliy's mind. Why would anyone want to do something like this or even be with a man who committed a crime as horrible as this. I understand about loving someone but that only goes so far after you do something stupid. I believe that this man should have been sentenced to the death penalty, but put through the torture that he put Ms. Stan through
Tara W.

No comments: